Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Wednesday Women: Katherine Mitchel by K. M. Hodge

This week in the Wednesday Women: I'm happy to present Kelly aka K. M. Hodge and her leading lady Katherine Mitchel. Learn all about the two of them in this character/author interview. Kelly & Katherine, thanks for visiting!

* * * * *

Ask Us Anything: Author KM Hodge and character Katherine Mitchel

 I would first like to thank Barbara Winkes for inviting me
to do this guest post so that I can introduce you to my dear character,
Katherine.  Last week, I hosted an "ASK ANYTHIING" on Facebook
to some of my faithful readers. They asked my leading lady, Katherine, and I
some interesting things. Here are some of the questions that they posted.

 
First of all, who am I and who is Katherine
Mitchel?


My name is KM Hodge, but please call me Kelly. Eighteen
years ago I birthed Katherine Mitchel, the leading lady in my novel, “Seasons.”
Life happened (marriage, a cross-country move, work, and children), and
 for many years she sat alone on disks, CD’s, thumb drives and eventually
a storage cloud. It wasn’t until my youngest was in a mother's-day-out program
two days a week that I was able to dust off the handful of chapters and turn it
into a full-fledged novel. I finished the novel during the National Write a
Novel in a Month event this last November. I then spent December-March having
it edited for content, copy and proof. On March 20th, “Seasons” went live on
Amazon.


 Who is Katherine? Katherine is a 33-year-old old FBI agent
who uncovers damning evidence against a crime ring called The Syndicate. The
group, which controls the police, Congress, and even the FBI, will stop at
nothing to protect their interests. With her life on the line, Katherine is
forced to put her faith in her new and partner Alex, as
she flees from
Washington D.C. and is placed in the
Witness Protection Program.  But you can't run from The Syndicate. In what
becomes the most dangerous investigation of their careers, Alex could
ultimately prove to be Katherine's last and only hope.

 
KM, Is there a message in your writing you want
readers to grasp?


Women’s rights and issues are important to me. I wanted to
give a singular voice to women who have experienced domestic violence and
sexual assault. Before I had children I worked for a Crisis Center where I
heard countless heartbreaking stories of abuse.


I’ve read all the startling statistics about the number of
women who have been raped and how there are some people out there that still
think that there are times when it is okay for one person to force another one
to have sex. I have also been there for friends and family who have experienced
these issues.

 I wanted to get a conversation started because change can
only happen if we start talking instead of just pushing these issues under the
rug. Victims of these crimes shouldn’t ever be made to feel shame or guilt, or
worse yet, feel that they deserved it.

 f you have been in a domestic violence situation or have
been sexually assaulted, it is not your fault and there are people out there
that can help you!

 Domestic violence hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233), or 1-800-787-3224 (TTY).

National Sexual Assault Hotline: 800.656.HOPE (4673)

 
KM, what are you working on now?

All the things! I am working on the edits for book two of
this series, “Blue Season”, which is slated to be released September 20th. I am
also starting to outline and make notes for the third book in this series,
“Seasons Son”. Lastly, I am working on branding myself as a suspense writer,
which means getting new book covers that better match the genre as well as
getting new headshots!


 
KM, what is the hardest part of the writing
process?


Finding time! I am the mother of two very energetic little
boys. I do a lot of my “writing” in my head while I drive my kids all over
town.


 
Katherine, what was your favorite book growing
up?


As a freckled red head I was in love with Anne (with an “e”)
of Green Gables.


My favorite quote from it is: “Red hair is my life long
sorrow.” ―
L.M. Montgomery

 
Katherine, how many pairs of Louis Vuitton shoes
do you own?


Hmmm...okay so a lot. I may have a bit of a shoe addiction. I
have gone to
New York a few times to go to
the sample sales so I’ve gotten most of them at a discount. Let’s say it is
more than two and less than 30. They are the most comfortable shoes and they
look amazing.


 
Katherine, what was your relationship with your
twin brother like?


I suppose when we were very small we were close. I have seen
photographs of us playing together, but I honestly don’t remember it all that
much. He has always kept me at arm's length. When we were in school, he was
always competing against me and everyone else. Whether it was grades or track
and field, he had to be the best at everything.


 When we were in high school he was student council
president, on the debate team and was all-state in track and field. College was
no different; he got into all the top schools with full rides. I was the
complete opposite. I struggled to make good grades, was introverted and hung
out with the so called ‘bad’ kids. When I think back I may have even started to
date Charles just to make Scott angry. He always hated Charles, who was the bad
boy that got all the girls. We were too different and mostly just pushed each
other’s buttons.

 
Katherine, what are you most afraid of?

I’m afraid that one day I will slip and fall off the wagon. I
don’t know if I could get back on again.


 
Katherine, if you hadn’t worked for the FBI,
what would you have done?


I love art and have a secret passion for graphic design. It
would be fun to do the art for an ad agency.


 
Katherine, besides gardening, what hobbies do
you have?


I love to run! I run several miles a day and had even
competed in a few marathons. There is nothing like a runner's high!


 
Katherine what are five items you have in your
purse?


Wallet, keys, lipstick, gum and a swiss army knife.

 
Where can we learn more about you, both?



Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KMHodgeAuthor

Blog: http://kmhodgeauthor.blogspot.com/

Amazon: Seasons http://www.amazon.com/Seasons-Syndicate-K-M-Hodge-ebook/dp/B00V17L29O/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Twitter: @KMHodgeAuthor

 

No comments:

Post a Comment